Having a baby is a truly wonderful experience, but a huge change in parents’ lives. Caring for a new baby and dealing with lack of sleep, crying and feeling unsure about how to comfort your little one can leave parents feeling stressed and anxious. Fortunately, there are some invaluable techniques for parents which can help both parents and baby in overcoming some of these issues, such as baby massage.
Tamsin Oliver from Happy Baby Massage is a huge advocate for the simple yet effective power of touch and its calming and relaxing properties. She runs nurturing, calm, enjoyable classes to share her knowledge and skills.
When: Fridays 10.30 am to 11.30am
Classes are in blocks of 4
How to book or for more information: go to www.tamsinoliver.co.uk or email Tamsin on email@example.com
Cost: £45 for 4 classes
Benefits for baby:
- Baby massage encourages deeper, longer sleep by relaxing the baby’s nervous system.
- It stimulates the circulatory, digestive and immune systems which helps to improve the baby’s physical strength and functioning.
- It relaxes the baby’s muscles which contributes to an overall feeling of well being.
- It can provide relief from colic, constipation and trapped wind which leads to a more contented baby.
- It reduces stress hormones so your baby is less likely to cry.
- The use of natural organic oils can help with eczema and dry skin.
- It increases the levels of the feel-good hormones called oxycontin in the baby and the parent which results in a greater sense of peace and serenity.
Benefits for parents:
- Gentle massage is an excellent way to bond with your baby because you learn how to communicate through touch and eye contact. It can be a regular time of intimacy between you and your baby.
- Mastering the art of baby massage can help you become more confident with handling your child and learn to better recognise their needs and cues.
- Massaging your baby is a good way to release stress. My classes start with learning ways to calm yourself before beginning massage.
- The skills you learn can be practised at home which will help build a calm family environment.
- Baby massage provides parents with one-on-one quiet time or interactive play with your baby as well as providing a way that both parents can more fully interact with their children.
- It is a really good way to meet other parents with the potential of building new supportive friendships.
Tamsin Oliver, founder of Happy Baby Massage, is a Knowle-based qualified massage therapist who has lived in south Bristol for 24 years. A mother of two holding a diploma in Child Development and with nine years’ experience as a childminder, Tamsin combines her massage expertise with a unique, nurturing and understanding approach to babies and children (and their parents!).
Tamsin has a wealth of knowledge to share, and guides her classes in a fun, safe, nurturing way.
Contact Tamsin on firstname.lastname@example.org