This traineeship work experience is part of an education and training programme that is focused on giving young people the skills and experience that employers are looking for. At its core is the Work Preparation training, English and maths for those who need it, and a high-quality work experience placement.
Traineeships help unlock your great potential and give you the work preparation training, maths, English, Digital Skills, and work experience needed to get an apprenticeship or other job.
Are you eligible?
Are you currently not in a job? Do you have little or no work experience?
Are you aged 18 to 24?
We are looking for a grounds and gardens maintenance trainee to help maintain the site and improve the ornamental gardens and food production areas at our city farm. There are many opportunities across the farm to focus on, depending on the interest of the applicant, including wild plants, cut flowers, composting and food production in the gardens, as well as learning about the day-to-day tasks of grounds and buildings maintenance such as lawn mowing, path clearing, buildings maintenance and repairs, which will include animal housing and paddocks.
Your tasks may include:
- Help maintain all gardens and food growing in the gardens
- Perform horticultural activities, to ensure the site is productive, beautiful, inclusive, educational, and sustainable
- Using garden tools and equipment to help maintain aspects of garden such as hedge trimming, cutting of grass and upkeep of paths
- Helping to ensure the grounds and gardens are safe, secure, and environmentally friendly
- Helping to ensure paddocks are kept clean and safe for the animals
- Assist with undertaking inspections and routine maintenance, repairs and improvements to facilities including animal housing and paddocks
- Ensure tools and workshop are kept in good state of repair and operation
- Ensure that facilities are kept clean, safe and hygienic (e.g. routine emptying of bins, bin store and litter sweeps)
Assist the Facilities Manager in maintaining Health and Safety
- Comply at all times with Windmill Hill City Farm policies (eg Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety, Environmental and Confidentiality)
- Work within and to promote the aims and objectives of the city farm, around sustainability and to present a positive image of the farm to the public
Windmill Hill City Farm is an established community hub in central Bristol that offers a range of services for local people. It has an award-winning café, a day-care nursery, active education, volunteering, and social care programmes. We are a working community farm, with livestock, birds and small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs on site which are cared for by our dedicated facilities team. Our café uses and sells the produce from our gardens and livestock and with a low carbon footprint already, we are working hard to achieve zero carbon goals in the coming years, leading the way in our community, to a more sustainable way of working.
Training to be Provided:
Work preparation training
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Full on the job training
A traineeship is a course with work experience that gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship. It can last up to 12 months.
You can apply if you’re:
- eligible to work in England
- unemployed and have little or no work experience
- aged 16 to 24 and qualified below Level 4
- a work experience placement
- help with English and maths (if you need it)
- You won’t be paid, but you may be given expenses for things like travel and meals.
After successful completion of the traineeship course, you will receive a certificate of completion and a letter of reference as a minimum, to support future job applications.
Personal Qualities needed:
Excellent communication skills
Willingness to work as part of a team
Physical and mental/emotional resilience
Self-motivation and initiative
2nd September 2021
Click here to apply via Weston College.